Yield: Enough to fill and ice a 10-inch cake
What you need....
8 egg whites (about 1 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
*6 sticks unsalted butter (3 cups), at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 sleeve of Oreos, crushed (about 15 Oreos)
*Note: In warmer climates/seasons you will want to change the amount of butter to 4 sticks (2 cups) and also add 1½ cups of vegetable shortening to the buttercream. This will give more stability when the weather is hot.
How to make this.....
1. Over a double boiler, heat the whites and granulated sugar and salt, whisking constantly, until all the mixture is hot to the touch and the sugar is dissolved. Take care to heat this slowly — you don’t want scrambled eggs!
2. Place the mixture in a stand mixer and whip on high for 5 minutes, until the mixture is completely cool and holds peaks.
3. Turn the mixer to medium speed and add the softened butter a little at a time. Remember, depending on the climate in your area, you may need to adjust the butter and add some shortening.
4. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend thoroughly.
5. Add Oreo crumbs and mix until incorporated.