Updated: Apr 5, 2021
Note: this recipe can be made vegan if you use certified vegan sugar.
Yield: Two 10-inch rounds or four 8-inch rounds
What you need....
6 cups (720 g) all-purpose flour
2 cups (396 g) granulated sugar
2 cups (426 g) light brown sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups (480 ml) almond milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cups (360 ml) vegetable oil
2 cups (480 ml) water at room temperature
2 cups (284 g) shredded carrots
How to make this....
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray/prepare cake pans
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, mix the flour, both sugars, the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg on low to sift the ingredients.
3. In separate measuring cups or bowls, add the vinegar to the almond milk, and the vanilla to the oil.
4. With the mixer on low, add the almond milk mixture, the oil mixture and 1 cup room-temperature water. Mix until fully incorporated. Add another 1 cup room-temperature water and mix until completely blended.
5. Add the carrots and mix until distributed.
6. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.